25 Rules of the Trail: Commandments of Mountain Biking
There are certain rules every mountain biker should live by on the trail. It’s run them down…
- Pay It Forward – Tubes, quick-links, a helping hand. You’ll need it one day too.
- You brought it out…you bring it home – No one likes a litterbug. Keep the trail clean.
- Know your role – Fast climber? Get up front. Slow descender? Get in the back.
- Bike worth does not equal biking ability – Everyone loves the latest and greatest…but it doesn’t increase skill. So after receiving your new steed, aim towards a nice skills clinic to freshen up your technic
- Be Self Sufficient – Always bring what you need…and sometimes more.
- Know Basic Bike Maintenance – Be able to fix your own flat…and possibly a little more...
- Treat Other Riders Like You Would Want To Be Treated – No one likes a jackass.
- It’s Only A Race If The Other Participants Know They Are Participating – You didn’t beat your friend on the climb if you are the only one that knew it was a race.
- If A Rider Catches You…It Doesn’t Mean They Want You To Ride Faster – Move to the side and let the rider by. Also see #3.
- Music While Riding Is Great…Unless You Are Oblivious – If you are going to wear earphones while riding, check around you constantly for other riders.
- Know Your Abilities – Don’t get too far over your head.
- Just Because You Can’t Ride It…Doesn’t Mean Others Can’t – Mountain biking should be a progression. Not all trails can be wide and groomed.
- You Have Zero Room To Bitch If You Didn’t Work On The Trail – Try not to be a backseat driver to trail work.
- There Is No Cure For UGI – Upgradeitius is a serious disease for which there is no cure.
- Beware Of Rider Recommendations – The best bike for a friend may not be the best bike for you. Everyone thinks they are on the best mountain bike on the market. And beware of shops that only recommend what they have in stock as the best bike for you might not be the best bike they have for you to have today!
- Don’t Be “That Guy” – You know the one…the guy that brags about his time on local loops and doesn’t ride anywhere else. Enjoy your ride…it isn’t a contest.
- In Shape Does Not Equal Technical Ability – You are in shape…awesome…but that does not make you a better rider. It just makes you able to ride longer.
- Riding Keeps You Young – Yes…that guy that is twice your age will still drop you.
- No One Looks Good In Lycra…Especially Mountain Bikers – Bring a change of clothes…lycra is not “going out” wear. Better still, do wear any...
- Pizza Is The Perfect After Ride Meal – Don’t know why…it just is.
- Diversity Is A Good Thing – Different bikes, different styles, different personalities. It would be dreadfully boring if we were all the same. Boredom is born a day of uniformity...
- Any Holiday Is An Excuse To Ride – Why are we riding today? Because today ends in a "y".
- Support Those That Support You – Support your local trail builders and local advocacy clubs. They do more than just work on trails. We do so if you are going to by a bike from us and are part of a registred not for profit cycle club, contact us first so that we can make sure that we "pay it back" too.
- Online Superstars Type More Than Ride – Time worrying about online arguments is time you could spend on the bike... said no one ever on happyride
- Riding Is The Best Therapy – Self explanatory…
Have more rules of the trail? Send them to us via our contact page and we will add them if relevant
*shamefully taken and lightly adapted from Bike198